William Powell, Welsh Liberal Democrat Senedd candidate for Brecon & Radnorshire, has expressed support for the owner and staff of the Hotel Metropole in Llandrindod Wells which was ravaged by a fire on Tuesday night (13th April).




The fire, which was discovered at approximately 6:00pm, started in a laundry room basement, but smoke spread throughout the rear half of the hotel.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service deployed an Incident Command Unit and used breathing apparatus, hose reel jets, and thermal imaging cameras to contain and defeat the blaze.

The Hotel Metropole which was already facing a reduction in turnover of £2.3 million due to closure and loss of business during the COVID-19 pandemic, must now also contend with major smoke and fire damage.

 Commenting, William Powell said:

 “I served with Metropole owner Justin Baird-Murray as directors of the Tourism Partnership Mid Wales for many years. I know his dedication to the hotel and commitment to maintaining its’ status and tradition as an iconic Radnorshire destination. The events of this week are a real shock. My thoughts are with Justin and all the team.

“My understanding is that firefighters from Llandrindod Wells, Builth Wells, Rhayader, Llanwrtyd Wells, Talgarth and Knighton all participated in the operation. Their heroic efforts saved the hotel from more severe damage and ensured that the fire did not become a danger to local residents. They are the very best of us.”

Welsh Liberal Democrat Councillor for Llandrindod South, Pete Roberts added:

 “In 2018, local Lib Dems campaigned vigorously against the removal of an Aerial Ladder Platform from Llandrindod Wells Fire Station. This incident highlights the importance of having a well funded, resourced, and staffed Fire Service in rural Mid Wales to ensure public safety.”

Kelvyn Curry, Welsh Liberal Democrat Councillor for Rhayader and a Member of the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Panel, praised the firefighters involved in the operation:

 “This fire could have developed into a major emergency situation, endangering life, and destroying an iconic building. It did not because of the bravery and skill of Mid and West Wales Fire & Rescue Service staff and the Dyfed-Powys Police officers who were also on hand. Their actions prevented the fire from spreading out of the basement and into the main hotel.”



Share this post on social media:

Sign in with Facebook, Twitter or Email.