Conservative and Independent-run Powys County Council has out forward brutal budget proposals that will deepen austerity across the county, cutting back vital services, hiking Council Tax and failing to protect the most vulnerable.
Their plans include:
- A 2.4% rise in rent for Council Tenants
- A 9.5% rise in Council Tax
- Increasing charges on school meals
- Slashing funding for Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations (PAVO).
- Severe cuts to the Library service that threaten the future of professionally-run branch libraries.
Welsh Lib Dem Councillors are working on clear, sensible and fair alternative proposals to balance the books whilst protecting the most vulnerable and the local services our communities rely on.
Powys County Council is the richest local authority in Wales in terms of the assets it holds and it’s high time it started using those assets creatively to help preserve vital local services and facilities, while it undergoes a rapid transformation in the way it operates and re-engages with local organisations and communities. If this does not happen, the depopulation of Powys, especially of young people, will continue and the problems will get much worse.
Do you agree that we need an alternative?
SIGN OUR PETITION TODAY!